Thursday, January 24, 2008


High Jumper Brandon Evans Discusses New PR
Evans jumped 6'8.25" at the Navy Quad meet to qualify for the IC4A meet for the first time in his career.(Video is from CNU meet)

Q. Congrats on your new pr of 6'8.25" in the high jump. In practice are you and Cam Shriver pretty much on an even keel - seeing as you two now have the same pr?
A. As far as practice is concerned I see us as close to even, but I would give a slight edge to Cam. He is a lot more confident than I am and and a lot more consistent. The good thing about us is that we definitely bounce things off each other. More

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Q. What did you jump in high school and what has been your progression over the last four years?

A. I actually did not do track until my last year of high school. My P.R. then was 6'6 and that was only once at our district championship meet. My coaches there had more of a hands off approach so I had no form and no technique, I just ran and jumped and hoped for the best. The four years here have been rocky because I have basically been learning the correct ways to do them and it was hard not seeing the efforts come to fruition. But now that they have I am more excited than ever.

Q. Will this be your first IC4A competition? Where would your best have placed you last year?

A. This is my first IC4A competition and I am extremely excited. Last year I would have fallen short because I was stuck at 2.0, but now that I have broken through, I see higher hieghts in the future.

Q. If memory serves me, the opening height at the IC4A meet is equal to your pr. How do you prepare for this face in practice?

A. Well what we do is not push ourselves too hard at practice and waste too many good jumps, but we do not hold back too much either because that is no way to get better. We focus more on higher hieghts though.

Q. Have you thought about next year and whether you will continue to compete after W&M and what are you thinking in terms of work?

A. Next year I have a job lined up for me in the financial services field, but I do plan to continue to stay in shape and keep the work ethic that I have learned here, and who knows I may still wanna push myself to self if I can reach greater hieghts.