Saturday, January 12, 2008


Amy Morris '99 Blog
Morris is the indoor record holder in the 1000 meters with a time of 2:49.6 and second on the 800 meter list. In this blog, Amy talks about her record run. Above is a picture with her husband Erik (also class of '99).

In conversations today, people will often ask how I came to attend William and Mary from Indiana. My answer, although not entirely true, is that I went there to run track and cross country. The response is usually something polite, but the concept is largely lost on a group of physicians that have spent their lives and careers in academia. Read more.

2006 ECAC Heptahlon Link.
Coach Davis continues to upload photos. Click here to see the 2006 ECAC heptahlon with Bonnie Meekins '07 and Brenna Blevins '06 who are one-two on the all time list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

However, when Ken Halla asked me to write about my indoor 1000 meter record, I could recall the event as vividly as any event in my college experience. ECACs were in Boston that year. Our coach had also decided not to rent 12 person vans but rather to take the T everywhere. What this really meant was that we hitched rides to and from the Reggie Lewis Center with the Syracuse team, pole vault poles and shot put in tow. I had not run that many 1000m in my career which probably helped me, as I didn’t know what to expect. Truly I cannot remember where I finished after the first day, but I had run a PR and was seeded first or second for finals. Coach’s advice was simple: “win the race if you have the chance.” As the finals unfolded, I took the lead, likely earlier than I should have, somewhere between 2-3 laps to go. Luckily I held on. About three steps from the finish, I heard them announce over the PA system that I had won the 1000m, and they wished me a happy 21st birthday. Rather than causing excitement, the announcement prompted fear that someone would catch me at the line. Fortunately, this did not happen, and that race set the school record at 2:49.60. When I got to the William and Mary section of the stadium, my teammate and their families, which included my father, treated me like a hero. Everyone was truly gracious. Often we say that a bad race does not make a bad runner; however I know that converse is true, that one good race suddenly makes you a good runner in the eyes of others. Spring break started the next day. In the grand tradition of many college students before me, when I arrived in Richmond from Boston, my friends where there waiting to pick me up. We drove all night to Daytona Beach. When I arrived in Daytona, my friends and future husband, Erik, ask how the meet went, all I had to say was, “I won!”