Monday, May 14, 2007


Interview with ECAC Champion Bonnie Meekins

Q. What attracted you to the heptathlon?
A. Well, I did most of the events already in high school and was recruited knowing I was going to be a multi-eventer. Doing just one or two events just isn't satisfying enough....so why not 7?

Q. What and why are your most and least favorite events?
A. I was mostly a high and long jumper in HS, so they have been one of my strongest and favorite events. I also enjoy the hurdles and javelin. Why??....because they are fun. My least favorites are the 200 and shot put (because they are my weak events). And as far as the 800 goes...I hate doing it, but unfortunately it's a strong event for me.

more from the interview

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Q. Do you ever feel as if you belong to no group since you train with so many?
A. I like to use this point to my advantage....on the days the long sprinters are working hard, I like to think I'm a short sprinter or jumper...and vice versa. But mostly, my group is the multi group....and I have been lucky enough to have someone to train with all 5 years I have been here.

Q. Do your practices go longer than the others on the team and if so how have you balanced it so well with your academics?
A. Hahaha...longer....why yes they do. On top of the normal practice we have an additional throwing practice 5 days a week that can go 1-2 hours long. I like to think this builds my endurance...which heptathletes need to make it through 2 days and seven events.

Q. Since your event is run over two days, what do you typically do between finishing one day and starting the next?
A. Ice bath. That pretty much sums it up. Rest and recover in the hotel for day 2.

Q. What are your plans after graduation?
A. Oh, I'm still trying to figure that one out myself!

Q. You had a big improvement in the meet. What were your goals?
A. I did not expect to improve that much at all. It was a very nice surprise. My goal was to get a score that would be high enough to get me into NCAAs.....once I realized winning was attainable it became my goal, but it wasn't the priority (although it was pretty nice indeed). I improved dramatically in 4 of the 7 events...200, long jump, javelin, and 800. All with personal bests.