Wednesday, July 4, 2007

PAN AMERICAN BLOG - FRYE STYLE
This summer we will have several guest bloggers, one of whom, Jacob Frye sent in this first installment about his excitement over making the Pan-American USA team.
To bring you up to speed I was the last guy selected to represent the United States this summer in international competition. Getting that call from USATF probably made for the best day of my life, and I dont think the guy on the other end ever heard so many happy cuss words before. I was in the midst of finals preperation at Villanova Law School and nothing takes the edge off a nasty contracts exam like the thought of wearing USA. Im beyond psyched that Ed has also gotten a position on the team. He has told me that after he races he wants to shop till he drops, but maybe I can get him to do something a bit more manly. Read more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since making the team Ive gone straight up to 125 miles the first week back, and Coach Gibby has had me cycling between 135 and 150 for the past 6 weeks or so. High mileage seems to have worked well for me. While I certainly do not have the beautiful fluid stride of some (ed), you could probably drop and anvil on my legs and Id only have to shave a mile off the next days run. Workouts were going great up until last week when the heat hit. I sweat like a nun in a cucumber field, so its essential for me to get ridiculous amounts of water down before and during training sessions. This will be a key factor for any sort of success down in Rio. My drink of choice is endurance gatorade, and I add a shot of red bull around mile 18 to trick the legs into thinking that they feel not god awful.

This weekend Ive got a tune up at the Boilermaker 15k. Since mileage has not dropped yet Im expecting the lungs to be rockin, and the legs to be strugglin, but hopefully I can avoid embarassment with a decent showing. I have to keep reminding myself that the marathon 3 weeks later is the focus. The bring side is that I tend to run well at races where beer companies are the primary sponsor, and I promised my road trip companion that theres nothing like a cool Saranac (the sponsor) after a hard 15k.